Today, we are excited to announce our early access developer beta BigCommerce for WordPress plugin.
The plugin will be a full-featured integration that combines the flexibility of the WordPress platform with BigCommerce’s robust commerce engine, empowering the millions of merchants using WordPress to grow and customize their stores like never before.
The app foundation, built by Modern Tribe, is now open for early access beta for developers.
“Together with BigCommerce, we are excited to deliver a world-class, scalable commerce solution to the WordPress community,” said Travis Totz, director of new projects at Modern Tribe.
“With BigCommerce for WordPress built the WordPress way and Gutenberg ready, developers can now easily leverage a modern SaaS ecommerce engine to power WordPress projects of all sizes.”
In addition to our WordPress effort, we have launch a new, API-driven Commerce-as-a-Service initiative to allow brands to seamlessly deliver commerce experiences through custom and commercial content management systems while centrally managing catalog, customer and order data through BigCommerce.
“WordPress powers the web presence of millions of businesses around the world, allowing them to bring their brands and content to life. Our WordPress integration enables retailers to combine the world’s most popular content management system with the world’s best cloud commerce platform,” said Jimmy Duvall, chief product officer for BigCommerce.
“Through our Commerce-as-a-Service offering, we are further demonstrating to customers our commitment to delivering the industry’s most open SaaS ecommerce platform.”
In total, 30% of all websites are powered by WordPress, making it the most widely-used content management system globally.
Through BigCommerce for WordPress, content-first brands and their developers will gain the ability to build and manage commerce experiences directly on the WordPress platform through a single plug-in, improving storefront performance and streamlining storefront management tasks.
“We love WordPress. It empowers us to customize our website in ways that match our brand values, and it enables us to tell compelling stories alongside our retail partners,” said Chris Grow, global marketing manager at Firewire Surfboards.
“With BigCommerce for WordPress we’ll have what we’ve always wanted – a laboratory for experimenting with ecommerce experiences that both bring value to Firewire retailers and enable more surfers to find our surfboards who previously couldn’t access them.”
Benefits for Retailers
- Seamless content-and-commerce experiences. BigCommerce for WordPress gives merchants access to the industry-leading ecommerce capabilities necessary to grow an online business at scale without compromising site content or user experiences.
- Industry-leading ecommerce scalability. By transferring the commerce elements from the WordPress admin to BigCommerce, merchants can enjoy a more efficient experience that is not impeded by back-end bloat and can quickly scale ecommerce functionality as the need arises.
- Out-of-the-box commerce functionality. WordPress developers can quickly integrate end-to-end commerce capabilities to an existing site experience using BigCommerce’s large robust ecosystem of apps and sizable catalog of fully-integrated payment and shipping methods to build an ecommerce offering that tailored to their business needs.
- Enhanced ecommerce security and peace of mind. BigCommerce guarantees a secure, PCI compliant checkout, enabling merchants to deliver a superior website experience without the added concern of managing and maintaining PCI compliance.
Benefits for Developers
- Made the WordPress Way: From the beginning, we set out to build our integration the WordPress Way: deliver value to the community, build it with WordPress experts, make something developers can make their own. We know what matters to the community, and our integration reflects the WordPress culture of empowerment, inclusion, and individuality.
- Made to make your own: No iFrames necessary — get full catalog data access within WordPress so you can do what you want. The BigCommerce integration allows you to port over a copy of the product catalog with a robust commerce feature set. Simply hook into our plugin to build whatever you need for your storefront experience.
- Unrestricted access to key plugin files: Have a highly customized theme and site? We’ve got you covered. Our plugin supports WordPress’ standard method of overriding template files so you can modify out-of-the-box designs. Customize your product cards, lists, and cart without risking plugin updates that will undo your changes.
Get in on the Ground Floor
Let us handle PCI compliance, catalog management and the challenges of commerce. You build the most beautiful, engaging website in WordPress history.
The power is at your fingertips.
Get started now.
Explore BigCommerce Documentation & Learn More
Want more insights like this?
We’re on a mission to provide businesses like yours marketing and sales tips, tricks and industry leading knowledge to build the next house-hold name brand. Don’t miss a post. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.